Sparks and smoke from a cell phone charger caused a brief evacuation Tuesday morning at Winfield High School. No injuries were reported.

According to Superintendent J.K. Campbell, the incident occurred around 9:15 a.m. in a classroom on the east side of the building.

A student’s cell phone charger, which was plugged into a wall outlet, began to emit sparks and smoke. A teacher put it out with a fire extinguisher, and the fire alarm was activated. 

Students evacuated the entire building, and custodial staff ventilated smoke from the building. The Winfield Fire Department was contacted, but did not travel to the school because the cause of the incident was small, identified and quickly isolated, according to a post on the official USD 465 Facebook page. 

Students were allowed to return to class around 25 minutes later, Campbell said. The classroom where the incident occurred was closed for the rest of Tuesday to allow for cleanup and was expected to re-open today.

Initial reports indicated a small fire had occurred. Campbell said the incident involved sparks and smoke, but no actual flames.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.