A Look Back in the Courier
30 years ago
• The deadline to enter the Courier recipe contest is Jan. 18. This year’s contest is geared toward recipes for healthy meals.
• Junior Sheli Simunek scored 30 points as the Southwestern College women’s basketball team topped Ottawa University 66-64 in Winfield.
20 years ago
• The Cedar Vale girl’s basketball team defeated Udall 51-29 to improve their season record to 8-1. The Udall boys defeated Cedar Vale 45-44.
• Now playing at the B&B Theaters Winfield Cinema: “Any Given Sunday,” “Toy Story 2,” Super Nova” and “The Green Mile.”
10 years ago
• Rina Darzhansky of Parkview Island, Fla., formerly of Winfield, will speak at the annual Winfield Community Prayer Breakfast Jan. 23 at Grace United Methodist Church.
• The Southwestern College men’s basketball team broke a four-game slide to defeat Tabor College 76-71 in overtime.
This day in Traveler History
100 years ago
• Francis Taylor (famed actress Elizabeth Taylor’s father) left for Tulsa today on a business trip before returning to New York. Mr. Taylor is son of Mr. and Mrs. F.M. Taylor, of North A street.
• The Walpex building is competed and it is a big improvement to Summit street. Walter S. Peck, retired grocery merchant, probably spent $35,000 or $40,000 on the improvement to this building … It is practically a new building and is located in the heart of the business center. It is the middle of the 200 block South Summit, on the west side of the street. … The building is 110x50 feet, and the room occupied by the Duvall pharmacy was extended 40 feet in the rear, the same length as the other room occupied by the Co-operative grocery store.
• The Co-operative Grocery company did a fine business in 1919, the officers state, and the prospects are bright for a much larger trade this year.
• Homer M. Ott has succeeded W.T. Wiley as the manager of the J.C. Penney store in Arkansas City. Mr. Wiley and C.D. Williams are going to St. Joe where Penney is going to open a new store.
50 years ago
• Photo caption: NEWLY ELECTED MEMBERS to “Who’s Who AmongStudents in American Junior Colleges” for 1970 from Cowley County Community Junior College … Carol Blatchford and Suzanne Henry, both of Arkansas City; Linda Adams, Udall; Charlotte Cover, Arkansas City: Dixie Weir, Geuda Springs; Judy Colvin, Udall … Jeannette Ibach, Randall Bridges and Gary Korte, Arkansas City; Doyle Wilson, Lawrence; John Woodworth, Halstead; Art Coats, Wellington; and Jody David, Dexter.
25 years ago
• Beginning last Friday, Arkansas City residents were being served by a new cable system operator … It was announced late Friday afternoon that the trade between Multimedia Cablevision Inc. and Tele-Communications Inc. (TCI) in which the two companies swapped cable systems in Kansas, Illinois and Oklahoma, had been completed. Multimedia also paid an undisclosed amount of cash in the trade.