Ark City man dies from crash injuries

An Arkansas City man died from injuries he suffered during a two-vehicle accident on June 10 near Mulvane. 

Adam Videgar, 30, of Arkansas City, passed away Thursday after more than a week of medical treatment and observation at Wesley Medical Center in Wichita. He had two children: son, Dax, 7, and daughter, Marley, 11.

Funeral funds have been generated through donation buckets at 7 Clans Casino, Equity Bank and Jiffy Trip in Newkirk, Okla. Donations can also be made through Rindt-Erdman Funeral Home in Arkansas City.

A family member said Adam lived in Wichita and was driving a work truck at the time of the accident.

Videgar battled his injuries for 10 days surrounded by friends and family. Doctors and nurses observed him very closely, day and night, with some close calls along the way, according to family Facebook posts. 

The family praised the doctors and nurses at Wesley who treated them like family throughout Adam’s care in the Intensive Care Unit. His organs will be donated. 

“We couldn’t be more proud and honored that he was able to share his lust for life with countless others through donation,” sister Ashley Videgar said. 

The accident occurred at 9:30 a.m. at the intersection of Hydraulic Avenue and 119th Street South, west of Mulvane. The Sedgwick County Sheriff’s report states that Videgar was traveling south on Hydraulic Avenue in a white 2004 GMC Sierra pickup, pulling a trailer when he failed to stop at the stop sign at 119th Street South. 

A white 2014 Dodge Grand Caravan driven by Cody Trautman, 29, of Derby, was traveling west through the intersection when the pickup struck the van’s passenger side, the report states. The trailer hitch sheered off the pickup and proceeded into the southwest ditch, striking a concrete culvert.

Videgar and his passenger, Daniel Tarvin, 50, of Hutchinson, were partially ejected out of the driver’s side window. When deputies arrived, Videgar was unresponsive and transported along with Tarvin, both seriously injured, by Mulvane EMS to Wesley Medical Center in Wichita. 

The third passenger in the truck, Marc Cowart, 32, of Wichita, was not ejected, but sustained injuries. He refused medical treatment but was later arrested on a warrant, transported by a deputy to St. Francis in Wichita and booked into jail.

Trautman was not seriously injured in the wreck and was walking around when emergency service arrived, the report states. One passenger in the van was unconscious when deputies arrived, but later regained consciousness, talked briefly with deputies and was transported to St. Francis for evaluation. 

The second passenger, Dennis McCoy, 30, of Bel Aire, was able to exit the van and was not seriously injured, refusing transport to the hospital. The third person in the van, Stephen Hall, 29, of Mulvane, was injured and transported to St. Francis for treatment.

The accident remained under investigation with no citations issued as of Thursday afternoon.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.