Recent extreme weather conditions have impacted farmers and ranchers in Kansas. The U.S. Department of Agriculture has disaster assistance programs available to help agricultural producers recover after natural disasters, including floods and tornadoes.

USDA’s Farm Service Agency, Natural Resources Conservation Service and Risk Management Agency offer programs that help producers to recover losses, rehabilitate farms and ranches, and manage risk.

FSA offers many programs to help producers recover from losses, including the Livestock Indemnity program, the Emergency Assistance for Livestock, Honeybees, and Farm-Raised Fish program, Emergency Forest Restoration program and the Tree Assistance program. Producers in counties receiving a primary or contiguous disaster designation are eligible for low-interest emergency loans to help them recover from production and physical losses.

NRCS provides technical and financial assistance through the Environmental Quality Incentives Program and other conservation programs to help producers to recover and build resilience to better weather future disasters.

“NRCS can be a very valuable partner to help landowners with their recovery effort,” said Karen Woodrich, State Conservationist for the NRCS in Kansas. “Our staff will work one-on-one with landowners to make assessments of the damages and develop approaches that focus on effective recovery of the land.”

Woodrich encourages producers to consult with their local NRCS planner to evaluate options for conservation practices reestablishment or plan development as waters recede. Both vegetative and structural practices may be of value during recovery efforts and into the future.

Meanwhile, the FSA Emergency Conservation Program provides funding and technical assistance for farmers and ranchers to rehabilitate farmland damaged by natural disasters.

Producers with coverage through federal crop insurance should contact their agent for issues regarding filing claims. Those who purchased crop insurance will be paid for covered losses.

Compensation also is available to producers who purchased coverage through FSA’s Noninsured Crop Disaster Assistance Program, which protects non-insurable crops against natural disasters that result in lower yields, crop losses or prevented planting. Eligible producers must have purchased NAP coverage for 2019 crops.

USDA also offers local governments and other entities with rebuilding infrastructure and removing debris. The NRCS Emergency Watershed Protection program provides assistance to local government sponsors with the cost of addressing watershed impairments or hazards like debris removal and stream bank stabilization. Interested entities should contact their local NRCS conservationist.

USDA offers a disaster assistance discovery tool that walks producers through five questions to help them identify personalized results of what USDA disaster assistance programs meet their needs. For more information on disaster assistance programs, contact a local USDA service center or

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.