Judge reduces bond for suspected bomber

The arrest affidavit in the case against attempted murder suspect Robin F. Hood sheds more light on details surrounding Hood’s investigation and arrest after he allegedly tried to blow up his ex-wife’s camper at the Cowley County Fair in early August.

The affidavit, which is law enforcements statement of probably cause to make an arrest, was released this week by Cowley County District Court following an open records request from the CourierTraveler. 

District Court Judge Nicholas St. Peter ruled in September that the document could be released with one paragraph redacted, in spite of arguments from Hood’s defense attorney that doing so would jeopardize the investigation and prevent Hood from having a fair trial.

According to the affidavit, Winfield Police were called to the Pecan Grove at the Winfield Fairgrounds the morning of Aug. 1 after a possible explosive device was found inside the camper. The victim had recently been awarded possession of the camper following her divorce from Hood. Before the victim picked up the camper, Hood had asked her  to allow him more time to clean it out.

When police arrived, three devices were found inside the camper, the affidavit states. All were marked “flammable” and had electrical wires fastened to them. 

Hood later admitted they were made from model rocket engines, which are made with cardboard bodies and black powder motors, according to the affidavit.

A search warrant was executed at Hood’s home in Atlanta the afternoon of Aug. 1. During the search, items were recovered that were consistent with the materials used to make the devices that were found in the camper, the affidavit states.

In an interview with investigators, Hood allegedly admitted to building the explosives out of model rocket engines. 

Investigators with the Kansas Highway Patrol and Wichita Police Department bomb technicians confirmed the three devices were strategically placed in a way that would cause three quick fires inside the camper once activated. 

The affidavit claims that the devices were wired so they would activate when the victim pushed a switch to slide the camper’s bedroom outward, resulting in a fast-building, potentially lethal fire.

Because of the locations of the devices, police claim, the victim could have been trapped and easily overcome with toxic smoke and potential fire to cause her death. The first rocket motor failed to ignite, and no fire resulted.

Hood remains in the Cowley County Jail on $100,000 bond. His next court appearance is at 8:30 a.m. Wednesday in Winfield for a preliminary hearing setting.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.