Charges have been dropped against an Arkansas City man accused of attempted murder and kidnapping after a pellet gun incident in December.

But Cory Brawley, 28, is back in the Cowley County Jail after being arrested on failure to appear in court and possession of methamphetamine and marijuana, according to Winfield police. 

He was arrested Tuesday in the 300 block of North Massachusetts Street in Winfield on suspicion of those charges. As of Thursday, he was being held on no bond, according to Sheriff David Falletti.

Brawley faced five felonies in Sumner County, including attempted murder and kidnapping, after he was charged with repeatedly shooting Eric Brown, also of Ark City, with a pellet gun through the passenger window of Brown’s 2001 Chevy Impala, in Geuda Springs.

Brawley was attempting to force Brown out of the car with what Brown thought was a real .22 caliber pistol, a criminal complaint states. 

Brown was struck several times in the head with pellets fired from the pistol, injuring his face, ear, and top of his head, the complaint alleges, and was yelling at Brown to get out the car.

But Sumner County Attorney Kerwin Spencer said Friday that the victim, Brown, didn’t show up for a hearing Aug. 19. for Brawley to face his accuser, and the case was dismissed.

Brawley has an extensive arrest record. Before he was arrested for the pellet gun incident, he was apprehended after a high speed chase that started in Oklahoma and ended in Kansas. 

He was taken to the Kay County Jail for flee and attempted elude and other charges, until he was transferred to Cowley County Jail on March 3 on local charges.

On March 14, he bailed out from Cowley County on a $50,000 bond, according to Undersheriff Christina McDonald.

Brown, the alleged victim, himself encountered legal trouble not long after the pellet gun shooting. He was arrested on several charges, including child abuse and criminal use of a weapon, in mid-January and booked into the Cowley County Jail. 

Online court records show that Brown’s bond was originally set at $50,000 but later reduced to $5,000. He is not currently an inmate at the jail, although it is unclear when he bailed out.


(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.