Cowley County Conservation District is conducting its annual cost-share sign-up from March 1 through April 15, to accept requests for state financial assistance to install enduring conservation practices.

The conservation district administers state cost-share programs locally to improve water quality and reduce soil erosion. Funding is provided by the Division of Conservation formerly the Soil Conservation Commission through appropriation from the Kansas Water Plan Fund.

Landowners with natural resource concerns on their property are encouraged to visit the Cowley County Conservation District to discuss the possibility of receiving state financial assistance. Funding is provided through cost-share payments to landowners for eligible practices such as terraces, grassed waterways, grass plantings, livestock water supplies, and ponds. The sign-up does not guarantee approval of cost-share financial assistance. Projects started or completed prior to being approved for funding are not eligible for these funds.

Following the sign-up deadline each request is carefully reviewed to ensure eligibility. The proposed project is ranked according to a system developed by the Cowley County Conservation District. The ranking system ensures fairness to landowners and ensures cost-share funds are used to meet local conservation priorities. Landowners approved for the program are notified of the practices approved and the estimated amount of cost-share that will be provided. Before the work can begin the contract has to be approved by the SCC and must be signed by the landowners.

The conservation district works closely with the USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service to protect and conserve natural resources, primarily soil and water. Conservation practices funded with state cost-share funds must be installed and maintained according to NRCS and SCC specifications. It is necessary that landowners work closely with NRCS in the planning stage to ensure practices are applied correctly. Technical assistance for the practices are provided free of charge by the USDA.

For more information concerning state cost-programs and other available services, contact Cowley County Conservation district manager Amanda Scott at (620) 221-1850 Ext. 3.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.