The 2020 Cowley College Athletic Awards banquet, which went virtual thanks to Legleiter Video Productions, was livestreamed June 18.
Scott Gurnee conducted interviews with members of the coaching staff, while athletic director Shane Larson, along with Tiger Booster Club president James Schaefer, announced the Male and Female Athletes of the Year.
This year’s winners were sophomore wrestler Ottis Peeler, and sophomore track and field and cross country athlete Sasha Elizondo.
Peeler was the national champion in the 184-pound weight class, helping the Tigers to place 15th out of 50 schools at the NJCAA National Championships on March 6-7 in Council Bluffs, Iowa.
Peeler won two matches by one point, two by technical fall, and another by 7-0 decision in compiling a 5-0 record.
An All-American at Iowa Western prior to transferring to Cowley, Peeler finished his lone season at Cowley with a 33-1 record and the program’s first-ever national champion.
Elizondo was a five-time track All-American and a seven-time Region VI champion. She is the school-record holder in the 1,000-meter run and mile run, and helped the 2019 indoor track distance medley relay team and 2019 outdoor 4x800 relay team to finish as national runners-up.
During the 2019 cross country season, she placed third in the conference and fourth in the region in helping the Lady Tigers to capture the Region title and place eighth at Nationals. She was Cowley’s February Student of the Month and has signed a National Letter of Intent to continue running at NCAA Division I Sam Houston State University in Huntsville, Texas.
2019-20 Athletes of the Month who were recognized at the banquet:
• September — Messi Elgin, men’s cross country; Sasha Elizondo, women’s cross country; Lubna Suied, women’s cross country; Elluan Martins Gomes, men’s soccer.
• October — Ramiro Diez, men’s soccer; Elina Zlateva, volleyball.
• November — Logan Steenstra, baseball; Letycia Bonifacio, women’s soccer.
• December — Deng Bol, men’s basketball; Georgina Kaindoah, women’s tennis.
• January — Miguel Obeso, baseball; Caroline Foster, volleyball.
• February — Natalia Lima, women’s soccer; Ottis Peeler, wrestling.
• March — Christian Wind, softball; Jack Clements, men’s tennis.
• April — Seanna Boltz, women’s basketball; Lydia Ashford, cheer; Nathan Moxley, men’s track and field.