KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Kansas City Royals general manager Dayton Moore said earlier this week there would really be no surprises to Kansas City’s 60-man player pool.
For the most part, that was true, as the Royals submitted their list of 60 to begin workouts Friday at Kauffman Stadium. The club will not have a secondary camp at an alternate site, as some teams have arranged for their prospects.
The only mild surprise was the addition of Bobby Witt Jr., the shortstop who was the Royals’ top pick in the 2019 MLB Draft. Witt is not on the 40-man roster and he was not invited to Spring Training earlier this season.
The Royals, though, likely think having Witt and several of their pitching prospects in camp will aid their development since it is unlikely there will be any Minor League season. Players not on the 40-man roster who made the 60-man player pool will not accrue service time.
“With the circumstances we’re going through,” Moore said, “there really isn’t a clear pathway to develop this year, other than this. We’re trying to accommodate as many players as we can, not just for 2020, but for 2021 and 2022.”
Interestingly, the Royals’ top draft pick this season, left-hander Asa Lacy, was not part of the player pool.
“There was some talk about adding him,” Moore said, “but at the end of the day, we like where he is right now — he’s got a good workout spot at College Station (Texas). We could only have so many players on the 60. There were a lot of players left off. But hopefully there’ll be an opportunity for many of them this fall in Arizona.”
The focus now shifts to who will make the initial 30-man roster for Opening Day, set for July 23-24. Two weeks from then, rosters will be reduced to 28, then two weeks later to 26.