Five members of Cowley County 4-H showed dairy cattle at the 56th Annual Kansas All Breeds Junior Dairy Show last weekend in Salina.
The youth had the opportunity to participate in a dairy judging contest, quiz bowl and skill-a-thon. Their placings are as follows:
• Austin Henderson, 16, Burden 4-H club. Placed 6th in senior judging, 6th (with a three-way tie) in Skill-a-thon and participated in quiz bowl. He placed 4th in showmanship, 1st with his summer yearling, Sandy; 4th with his winter yearling, Dixie; 2nd with his fall yearling, Hannah; 4th with his junior 2-year-old, LeAnne; and 1st with his senior 2-year-old, Misty.
• Adison Henderson, 13, Burden 4-H club. Participated in the judging contest and the quiz bowl and placed 3rd in the skill-a-thon. She was Reserve Champion in showmanship, placed 2nd with her spring heifer calf, Jill; 2nd with her winter heifer calf, Chili; 1st with her fall heifer calf, Alex; 3rd with her summer yearling, Ariel; and 2nd with her 4 year old cow, Sumi.
• Hailey Wilson, 12, Udall 4-H club. Participated in the judging contest and quiz bowl and placed 9th in the skill-a-thon. She placed 5th in showmanship, 3rd with her winter yearling, Polly; and 2nd with her junior 2-year-old, Onix.
• Matthew Henderson, 10, Burden 4-H club. Participated in the judging contest, quiz bowl and skill-a-thon. He was Champion in showmanship and placed 4th with his summer yearling, Charity.
• Samantha Henderson, 8, Burden 4-H club. Participated in the judging contest, quiz bowl, skill-a-thon and beginner showmanship. She placed 3rd with her fall heifer calf, Virginia, and 2nd with her fall yearling, Kate.
The 4-Hers also placed 3rd in county herd, and the ribbon is proudly displayed at the Cowley County Extension office with their picture.